Founder and Head of The Imani School
Patricia Hogan Williams has had more than 30 years experience as an educator with students from preschool classrooms to university campuses. She is the Founding Head, and Executive Director of The Imani School. Under her leadership, The Imani School, which began as a preschool for 25 children, is now the largest independent private, predominately African American school in the nation, serving students from preschool through eighth grade. Responding to research on the critical developmental periods from birth to three years, the school expanded to include infants and toddlers. The Imani School has received national and international recognition for its success in developing self-confidence, Christian values and academic excellence in African- American children. Imani students have won numerous national awards in math, science and speech. Our students are recruited by the most highly selective schools in the Houston area where they distinguish themselves academically, in sports and in the arts. When a recent graduate was asked why he was chosen for a prized position, he responded, “It’s because at The Imani School, the bar is set so high, it’s just what I do”! Mrs. Williams also serves as an adjunct professor in Child Development at Texas Southern University. She has received numerous honors and awards for her commitment to improving the lives of children and youth. Some of which are:
- Featured in U.S. News and World Report as one of “Twelve Indispensable Americans”
- Selected a “Current History Maker” by KHOU –TV
- Audrey A. Lawson Impact Award, Wheeler Avenue Baptist Church
- Community Service Award, Association of Black Social Workers of Texas
- American Heart Association Award of Excellence
- Outstanding Educator Award, National Assoc. for Financial Assistance to Minority Students
- Links, Inc. Western Area for Outstanding Services to Youth.
- Outstanding Educator Award, Commissioner El Franco Lee
- American Red Cross Outstanding Educator Award
- Community Service Award, Top Ladies of Distinction
- Distinguished Woman Award, Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority
- Texas Southern University Award for Excellent Service
Patricia Hogan Williams is the wife of Attorney Connie B. Williams, and the proud mother of three sons, Brian, founder of Step Afrika, an international dance company, Christopher, owner of Lucille’s Houston Restaurant, and Benjamin, co-owner of Highway Vodka.